Michael R. Koeppel
Managing Director and Founder
- Certified Turnaround Professional (CTP)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
- Advanced SOC for Service Organizations Certificate
Summary of Qualifications:
- Expert Witness - Bankruptcy Valuations and Intangible Assets
- Chairman for the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants – Bankruptcy and Financial Reorganizations Committee
- Committee Member for the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants - Business Valuations
- Extensive experience with turnarounds, due diligence, business valuations, fundraising and bankruptcy
- Worked with private equity firms and turnarounds, and in “high risk” situations.
- Led nine mergers and acquisitions
- Senior IT executive for a Fortune 500 company
- Mentor in the Canisius College Women’s Business Development Program
In his 25 years of experience, Mr. Koeppel has been exposed to a host of industries; but his primary focus is on technology, manufacturing and service organizations.
In 2001, he founded ECapital-Financing, which specializes in assisting start-ups and challenged entities obtain financing. Today, the firm works with a host of companies in both the Los Angeles and Western New York regions. While ECapital-Financing currently focuses on investing in start-up entities / projects, Lakelet Advisory Group LLC was founded in 2012 to focus on challenged organizations.
In the past, Mr. Koeppel served on the Board of Directors of a public medical device company; which later led to his serving as interim COO during this public company’s turnaround efforts. He also served as interim COO and CFO for an international VoIP company required to restructure its balance sheet, obtain additional financing, and focus on its profitable core opportunities (sold non-core division).
Mr. Koeppel also worked nearly 10 years with Citigroup Venture Capital Company, primarily focusing on two spin-out, challenged organizations. He served on the Management Committee with both entities.
The first engagement involved an international manufacturer and distributor of medical and paper products ($300 million in revenue). In his role there, he assisted the turnaround of the company's operations and groomed it for sale. He focused daily on the cash flow and working capital optimization. In 12 months, he completed the full integration of three companies into one, generating a 34% reduction in transaction and overhead costs.
In addition, he was responsible for reengineering warehouse and transportation facilities. This resulted in significant annual savings and annual net savings of 2% of gross sales in administrative costs by consolidating telecommunications services and cross training. Through his efforts, the company was sold within two years.
The second engagement involved an international manufacturer and re-manufacturer of electronics and automotive components ($980 million in revenue) Mr. Koeppel was recruited to "carve-out" processes, hire staff, implement new processes, systems, and solutions, and prepare for IPO and growth. This was accomplished and its success was based in part on implementing nine focus factories utilizing "lean manufacturing" concepts. He then developed, recruited, and trained a new team that concentrated on business processes, generating a net savings of 11%. He was also instrumental in directing key acquisitions and assisting the IPO of this entity.
Mr. Koeppel has significant international experience, as well, in both European and Brazilian operations. He spent several years in Brazil with PricewaterhouseCoopers on challenging technology and business situations. In addition to his work in the financial services industry, he also served with distinction in the U.S. Army as a Medical Corpsman (E-5).
- B.A. in Economics (summa cum laude) from the State University of New York at Buffalo
- Master of Accountancy from Bowling Green State University
- Taught Corporate Taxation and Econometrics at the State University of New York at Buffalo
- Worked as an instructor for optimizing technology for PricewaterhouseCoopers, US & Brazil
- State University College of NY at Buffalo – Alumni Association
- Turnaround Management Association (2005 – Present)
- Bankruptcy and Financial Reorganizations Committee - New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (2013 – Present)
- Certified Information Technology Professional (2007 – Present)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (2009 – Present)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (2009 – Present)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (1983 – Present)
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (1987 – Present)
- Ohio State Society of Certified Public Accountants (1983 – 2010)
- Manufacturing Alliance Productivity Institute (MAPI) (1991 – 2000)
- International City/County Management Association (ICMA) (2013 – Present)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) (2013 – Present)
- Rochester Professional Consultants Network (2015 – Present)
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) (2016 – Present)
Current Publications / Recent Speeches:
- Speaker at NYS Society of CPA's on Valuation: Purpose, Methodology & Application, February 2017
- Presentation to the NYS Society of CPA's C-Corp Committee - Bankruptcy Consulting Services, January 2017
- Buffalo Law Journal Guest Column - Effective turnaround programs for distressed health-care systems, July 2016
- Moderator at NYS Society of CPA's on 2016 Trends in Bankruptcy and Reorganizations, May 2016
- Speaker at NYS Society of CPA’s on Fraud in Bankruptcies and Distressed Entities, December 2015
- Moderator at NYS Society of CPA's committee for Bankruptcy and Reorganizations panel - The Other Side of Bankruptcy, September 2015
- Article – A Tale of Two Turnarounds: A Look at For-Profit Vs. Government Agency Turnarounds – ICMA, April 2014
- Keynote Speaker for the Utility Claims Management Association, April 2014. Topic: Asset Valuation – Smoke and Mirrors
- Guest Lecturer – Master's Degree in Financial Forensics Program at Canisius College – Current Trends in Financial Forensics, 2014
- Presentation to the NYS Society of CPA's (May Meeting) – Root Causes – Turnarounds and Restructuring, May 2014
- Guest Lecturer – Financial Forensics State University of NY at Fredonia – Case Studies on Financial Forensics, 2014
- Presentation to the NYS Society of CPA's (December Meeting) – Article 9 –Challenges Associated with Turnarounds, December 2014
- Article - Article 9 - Challenges Associated with Turnarounds, December 2014